Directed by lead clinician Dr. Chung-Hwan Chen, the Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital Fracture Liaison Service has been running since 2015. The Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital is located in Southern Taiwan and serves a population of around 300,000 people. The fracture liaison service handles all fragility fractures and serves about 140 patients per year.
We have conducted some basic and clinical studies about the pathogenesis, prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
1. Fu YC, Wang YH, Chen CH, Wang CK, Wang GJ, Ho ML. Combination of calcium sulfate and simvastatin-controlled release microspheres enhances bone repair in critical-sized rat calvarial bone defects. Int J Nanomedicine. 2015 Dec 1;10:7231-40.
2. Chuang SC, Chen CH, Fu YC, Tai IC, Li CJ, Chang LF, Ho ML, Chang JK. Estrogen receptor mediates simvastatin-stimulated osteogenic effects in bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2015 Dec 1;98(3):453-64.
3. Chen CH, Kang L, Lo HC, Hsu TH, Lin FY, Lin YS, Wang ZJ, Chen ST, Shen CL. Polysaccharides of Trametes Versicolor Improve Bone Properties in Diabetic Rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Oct 28;63(42):9232-8.
4. Tai IC, Wang YH, Chen CH, Chuang SC, Chang JK, Ho ML. Simvastatin enhances Rho/actin/cell rigidity pathway contributing to mesenchymal stem cells' osteogenic differentiation. Int J Nanomedicine. 2015 Sep 21;10:5881-94.
5. Tsai YH, Lin KL, Huang YP, Hsu YC, Chen CH, Chen Y, Sie MH, Wang GJ, Lee MJ. Suppression of ornithine decarboxylase promotes osteogenic differentiation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. FEBS Lett. 2015 Jul 22;589(16):2058-65.
6. Shen CL*, Kwun IS, Wang S, Mo H, Chen L, Jenkins M, Brackee G, Chen CH, Chyu MC. Functions and Mechanisms of Green Tea Catechins in Regulating Bone Remodeling. Curr Drug Targets. 2013 Dec;14(13):1619-30.